Bichon Frise ‘steals’ owner’s purse and swallows 20 coins

Mother of two, Ivana, had lost her purse. It had vanished and she was at a loss as to who the culprit was. She then noticed that Daisy, her 12-week-old Bichon Frise puppy had stopped eating. Her little pup then started to vomit. It transpired that Daisy had waited until Ivana was distracted and “stolen” her purse. She then managed to swallow the 20 coins inside the purse. These coins were 13 1p coins, 3 5p pieces, two 20p and two £1 coins.

Daisy with the coins she swallowed
Daisy with the coins she swallowed. Image: PDSA.

Ivana rushed Daisy to the PDSA hospital although at that time she did not know the reason why Daisy was vomiting and had stopped eating. The People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals is a charity and have 48 pet hospitals around the UK.

One of their vets examined Daisy’s stomach noting that it caused pain when they palpated it. This indicated a blockage. They sedated and x-rayed Daisy. The images showed up the coins.

Ivana, who lives in Derby, UK, said: “I couldn’t believe it when PDSA rang to tell me Daisy had swallowed so many coins. My purse had been missing and we had searched high and low for it, not thinking it was Daisy who was the culprit who ran off with it.”

She added: “I had no idea a puppy would even eat this sort of thing and we were all beside ourselves with worry and so scared we might lose her. My 4-year-old daughter is best friends with Daisy and she was very upset.”

The PDSA said that the operation was a success and that Daisy was able to go home with painkillers and antibiotics the next day.

A nurse at the Derby PDSA hospital said: “Daisy has broken a record – we couldn’t believe the number of coins she had managed to eat, especially for such a tiny puppy. The coins had been causing a blockage which, if left, could have been fatal so it’s a good job her owner brought her into PDSA when she did.”

They say that dogs eat anything. It seems that it is true. It is worth noting that coins are toxic to dogs. While some coins pass through a dog’s gastrointestinal tract safely and out in a stool, some coins contain a large amount of zinc which can causing poisoning. The acid in the stomach breakdown the zinc which allows the stomach to absorb the zinc into the bloodstream. This can lead to red blood cell destruction, kidney failure, liver damage and heart failure. The clinical signs of zinc poisoning include: increased heart rate, discoloured urine, jaundiced gums, lack of appetite, vomiting, increased breathing, weakness, anaemia and collapse.

Below are some more pages on dogs.

Two useful tags. Click either to see the articles: Speciesism - 'them and us' | Cruelty - always shameful
follow it link and logo

Note: sources for news articles are carefully selected but the news is often not independently verified.

At heart this site is about ANTHROPOCENTRISM meaning a human-centric world.

Post Category: Dogs > dog behaviour