Mother of two, Ivana, had lost her purse. It had vanished and she was at a loss as to who the culprit was. She then noticed that Daisy, her 12-week-old Bichon Frise puppy had stopped eating. Her little pup then started to vomit. It transpired that Daisy had waited until Ivana was distracted and “stolen” her purse. She then managed to swallow the 20 coins inside the purse. These coins were 13 1p coins, 3 5p pieces, two 20p and two £1 coins.
Daisy with the coins she swallowed. Image: PDSA.
Ivana rushed Daisy to the PDSA hospital although at that time she did not know the reason why Daisy was vomiting and had stopped eating. The People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals is a charity and have 48 pet hospitals around the UK.
One of their vets examined Daisy’s stomach noting that it caused pain when they palpated it. This indicated a blockage. They sedated and x-rayed Daisy. The images showed up the coins.
Ivana, who lives in Derby, UK, said: “I couldn’t believe it when PDSA rang to tell me Daisy had swallowed so many coins. My purse had been missing and we had searched high and low for it, not thinking it was Daisy who was the culprit who ran off with it.”
She added: “I had no idea a puppy would even eat this sort of thing and we were all beside ourselves with worry and so scared we might lose her. My 4-year-old daughter is best friends with Daisy and she was very upset.”
The PDSA said that the operation was a success and that Daisy was able to go home with painkillers and antibiotics the next day.
A nurse at the Derby PDSA hospital said: “Daisy has broken a record – we couldn’t believe the number of coins she had managed to eat, especially for such a tiny puppy. The coins had been causing a blockage which, if left, could have been fatal so it’s a good job her owner brought her into PDSA when she did.”
They say that dogs eat anything. It seems that it is true. It is worth noting that coins are toxic to dogs. While some coins pass through a dog’s gastrointestinal tract safely and out in a stool, some coins contain a large amount of zinc which can causing poisoning. The acid in the stomach breakdown the zinc which allows the stomach to absorb the zinc into the bloodstream. This can lead to red blood cell destruction, kidney failure, liver damage and heart failure. The clinical signs of zinc poisoning include: increased heart rate, discoloured urine, jaundiced gums, lack of appetite, vomiting, increased breathing, weakness, anaemia and collapse.
Below are some more pages on dogs.
Britain's pet owners are using more and more cannabis to treat their companion animal's ailments including for arthritis and anxiety ...Read More
Well, here is a really nice photograph because we have the juxtaposition of this Chinese crested rescue pup who has ...Read More
Two unrelated female dogs (bitches) nurse each other's puppies. I cannot find anything on the Internet which tells me that ...Read More
It is hard to know why this video was made. Somebody is behind the camera. Who is that person? I ...Read More
The dog is the non-human species for which the largest number of genetic disorders is known and as at 2002 ...Read More
A prominent, major British law firm, Slaughter and May, will allow their lawyers to bring their dogs to the office ...Read More
NEWS AND COMMENT-WESTMINSTER MAGISTRATES' COURT, UK: Kevin Spacey was granted unconditional bail yesterday over sexual assault charges after Westminster magistrates' ...Read More
The antics of this super-fit man and his dog are made for social media video. This site is about the ...Read More
This is a dog escape to match the best cat escapes. This was smart thinking and brave acting. Of course, ...Read More
This cute German Shepherd puppy has strange ears. They have been pushed together on the top of his head. It ...Read More
The video on this page shows the behaviour that I describe in the title very well. It takes place in ...Read More
The question opens up a can of worms it seems to me. Pet dogs often want to sleep with their ...Read More
Amazing or what? It seems extraordinary. It is hardly believable but it appears to be entirely genuine. Training comes to ...Read More
Since the Uvalde school shooting in which nineteen children and two teachers were killed by a single shooter with a ...Read More
They are called 'teef chomps' - biting thin air instinctively. However, you slice it or dice it Otis is very ...Read More
It is called the first café in Dubai to serve food, coffee and cake to dogs only which implies that ...Read More
NEWS AND COMMENT-DAYTON, TEXAS: Dayton is a one-hour drive from Houston. Samantha Zimmer is a dog rescuer living in Houston ...Read More
NEWS AND COMMENT-UK: During Covid market forces pushed up dog prices significantly. More people wanted to adopt a dog and ...Read More
According to a study by the University of Toronto, children who grow up with pet dogs are less likely to ...Read More
The picture shows a bunch of dogs in the train carriage, free of their carrier, as they enjoyed special treatment ...Read More